The Explore Engineering Curriculum is currently in the pilot testing phase. Contact email@example.com if you are interested in pilot testing the curriculum. Otherwise, sign up at the bottom of this page to be the first to be notified when the curriculum is available and to learn about related opportunities. Once released, the curriculum will be free to access!
The Explore Engineering Kit and Curriculum is a fun and engaging resource to inspire an interest in Engineering and STEM career pathways for 3rd through 8th grade youth! Key features of this resource include:
- Each lesson is hands-on, engaging, and framed by the Experiential Learning Model – Do, Reflect, Apply. Your students will not want to stop!
- Integrated within the curriculum are aspects of life skill development (including teamwork, effective communication, critical thinking, problem-solving and creative thinking), entrepreneurial mindset, and literacy.
- Utilizes low-cost and recycled supplies.
- Suitable for formal and non-formal settings from the classroom to a 4-H club!
- Aligned to academic standards including the Next Generation Science Standards and the 2019 Minnesota Science Standards.
The goals of this project are to:
- Inspire interest in engineering-related careers among students in grades 3rd-8th.
- Increase the number of individuals entering engineering-related careers, including those from underserved communities.
- Increase educators’ self-efficacy to teach basic engineering principles to their students.
- Support educators in teaching STEM principles through hands-on lesson plans, tools, and resources.
Each lesson within the curriculum is…
- Framed by the Experiential Learning Model – Do, Reflect, Apply
- Aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards and the 2019 Minnesota Science Standards
- Scalable for 3rd-5th grade up to 6th-8th grade
- Appropriate for in the classroom or during out-of-school programs
Integrated within the curriculum are aspects of…
- Life skill development (including teamwork, effective communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, and creative thinking)
- Entrepreneurial Mindset
The Explore Engineering Kit, to be used in conjunction with the Explore Engineering Curriculum, includes an Engineering Structure made from pegboard panels, PVC pipes, and an assortment of PVC connectors. The kit also includes an assortment of:
- 1/4″ Dowel Pegs and Chenille Stems
- Tubes, Pipes, Marbles, Balls, etc.
- Miscellaneous Building Material
- Storage Bags, and
- Engineering Design Process and Backward Design Process Posters
Educators can create their own kit with our instructional guide or purchase a kit from the Engineering Center. Kit orders will be available on an annual basis.
This project is sponsored in part by the Boston Scientific Foundation and Perrigo Foundation STEM Education Grants.